Getting exposed to mentors is part of the regular lifecycle of a startup. Typically, experienced entrepreneurs and VCs are the ones providing mentorship
- Fred Wilson says there is too much mentorship in Mentor/Investor Whiplash, and advises entrepreneurs to take note, not action.
- Brad Feld countered with The Benefit of Mentor Whiplash, where he says, take the advice, but learn how to analyze it.
- William Mougayar asks whether we should focus on quality vs. quantity of mentorship, in What Startups Want from Mentors.
- Fred Destin says good mentoring is hard, and offers 5 pieces of advice to mentors in Startup Mentoring, The Socratic Way
2011 & prior
- David Cohen, founder of TechStars has written The Mentor Manifesto, after witnessing thousands of mentor interactions.
- David Cohen explains what makes a great mentor, how to approach and engage potential mentors, and how to build the relationship, in Tip #2: Find and engage great mentors.