Company culture is a set of shared beliefs, values and practices that help a startup attract the right employees, achieve better company performance and surmount challenges together.
- What company culture do you want?
- How to communicate it?
- How to make it a competitive advantage?
- There is a Science Behind Team Spirit, according to this Startup Research paper.
- Tanmay Vora at Qaspire.How has an exhaustive list on How to build a great team and Culture? 60 pointers.
- The Ultimate Guide to a Company’s Culture (SUM)
- Jamie Notter on why it’s important to Create a Culture that Drives Success, Not One That Makes You Feel Good.
- You can learn how Google is Retaining Top Talent Through ‘Employee Entrepreneurial Culture.
- The Netflix culture deck is amazing
- Startup culture: 23 insights from the Netflix culture deck
- Netflix’s freedom and responsibility culture
- The Woman Behind the Netflix Culture Doc
- The HubSpot Culture Code: Creating a Company We Love
- How to Build a Thriving Culture – An Interview with Dharmesh Shah, Co-founder of HubSpot
- Culture and Fit, AVC — Fred makes no bones about the linkage between culture and hiring.
- Programming your culture, Ben Horowitz — A very practical view on the importance and benefits of a company’s culture, “A company culture helps to distinguish you from competitors and helps you to identify employees that fit your mission.”
- Peter Thiel on Culture — From his famous CS183 course, via Blake Masters notes.
- What company culture IS and IS NOT, Rand Fishkin — Makes the distinction between culture fit and company fit.
- MBA Mondays: Guest post from Chad Dickerson, AVC — Focuses on the intricate relationship between Recruiting and Culture.
- Cultural fit trumps competence, Brad Feld via WSJ — Beware of high competence but low cultural fit.
- Never, Ever Compromise: Hiring for Culture Fit, Elad Gil — Bad culture fits lead to pain.
- You Don’t Create a Culture, Jason Fried — Where the original “You don’t create a culture. Culture happens” came from.
- Create a culture that drives success, Jamie Notter, via Clarity.fm – Jamie also has a book Humanize: How People-Centric Organizations Succeed in a Social World
(Courtesy of Tom Eisemann)
- Ben Horowitz of a16z on the concept of “management debt” (i.e., bad people decisions with long-term consequences — the HR equivalent of technical debt) and on how accountability separates good companies from bad ones.
- Horowitz on how to integrate “old people” (i.e., senior executives from big companies) into a startup.
- Bijan Sabet of Spark Capital on the risk of promoting managers too quickly.
- Blake Masters’ summary of Peter Thiel’s Stanford CS183 lecture on company culture: where it comes from/why it is important.
- Horowitz on building company culture.
- David Beisel of NextView Ventures on the importance of office space configuration in building a startup.
- Tips on hiring developers from Dharmesh Shah of HubSpot; Avi Flombaum of the Flatiron School; Iris Shoor of Takipi; and a great Quora thread.
- Recruiting best practices discussed by Fred Wilson of USV; Charlie O-Donnell of Brooklyn Bridge Ventures; Ben Yoskovitz of GoInstant; and David Beisel.
- Chad Dickerson of Etsy on the link between recruiting and company culture.
- Thoughts on firing employees from Chris Dixon and Fred Wilson.