The conversion rate is a key metric that relates to the number of users that are moving from one stage to another, e.g. from acquisition to activation, to retention, to referral, to revenue. It’s typically a percentage or a value metric. It’s directly related to a company’s growth.
- Chris Goward has compiled The Definitive FAQ Answers to Conversion Rate Optimization. It is very comprehensive and with detailed answers.
- Sean Ellis has published this excellent guide, The Beginner’s Guide to CRO. It’s a 12-Chapter online e-book with a downloadable version. Must read.
- Cara Harshman at Optimizely has a case study on A/B Testing with results, An A/B Test Validates New Business for uSell.com.
- The StatusPage.io blog has a case study, How We Increased Our Conversion Rate by 311% (from .136% to .424%).
- Lars Lofgreen explains the concept of Local Maximum and Global Maximum in Why A/B Testing is a Complete Waste of Your Time. Long story short, A/B testing is not answer to everything, and you need to understand the constraints of your expected outcome.
- In a short, but insightful post by Lightspeed Venture Partners, Engagement>Retention>Growth makes the good point that “the problem with measuring and understanding retention is that by definition it takes time to measure.”
- Robin Johnson at Optimizely has 71 Things to (A/B) Test. The hard part is figuring out which ones to start with.
- From leaky conversions to testing one thing at a time, Matthew Berman from 500 Startups covers some basics in Get More Conversions Now- Funnel Optimization 101.
- The KISSmetrics blog has 7 mini case studies in How These 7 Companies Increased Revenue by an Average of 425%. Some of the tweaks include changing pricing, removing a menu, or adding responsive design.
- Pratik Dholaklya says, “experiences are the missing half of conversions”, in What Every Conversion Rate Optimization Strategy is Missing,
- Des Traynor at Intercom.io proposes using the “5 Whys” technique to Analyzing Abandonment in your Product.
- Sanket Patel explains in great details that the rate of conversion matters, in Explained: Conversion Rate Optimization.
- KISSmetrics has compiled a list of 100 Optimization Case Studies. They are “mini” case studies with key findings for each.
- Peep Laja has a comprehensive list of 53 Ways to Increase Conversion Rate.
- Rand Fishkin has a very comprehensive tutorial on CRO via a Slideshare, The Big Picture of CRO.
- If you’re into e-commerce, and focused on cart abandonment and check-out conversion rates, KISSmetrics has 40 Checkout Page Strategies to Improve Conversion Rates.
(with permission from Tom Eisemann)
- Fred Wilson describes conversion metric targets for social media companies.
- Presentation by Cindy Alvarez of KISSmetrics on conversion rate benchmarks for different types of web businesses (big download, but worth the wait!).
- Avinash Kaushik offers three techniques for analyzing website conversion rates and describes why and how marketers should use controlled experiments.